BFSA was contracted to complete a historic significance evaluation of the Little Flower Haven Rest Home in the city of La Mesa. The building was originally constructed in 1928 and began operations that same year; however, the earliest portions of the building were later replaced with additions. A chapel, bell tower, and rest home wing addition, which was designed by Los Angeles architects Barker and Ott and constructed in 1939, remains the oldest portion of the building. BFSA evaluated the 1939 addition as architecturally and historically significant and consulted with Benson & Bohl Architecture, the architects for Silvergate Development’s proposed multi-family residential facility, in order to adaptively reuse the significant portions of the building.
The final plan incorporated the original façade of the 1939 addition, as well as the size, massing, and general design elements of the later 1948 and 1958 additions, into the new project. During the rehabilitation of the building, structurally unsound portions of the original façades were repaired and/or rebuilt to restore its original character. Prior to the start of construction, BFSA prepared a Historic American Buildings Survey documentation study for the Little Flower Haven Rest Home in order to fully document the building prior to any modifications.